Monday, January 13, 2020

Hakuoki Episodes 1-6

Its been a while since I've watched a jidaigeki. Not counting Neko Samurai which I would not count as jidaigeki, the last one I enjoyed was Yoshiwara Urodoushin by the great Ozaki Masaya.

Hakuoki is a feel good adventure story about a married couple played by Yamamoto Koji and Shibamoto Yuki fate seems to want to keep separate by visiting them various hardships while the viewers of course want to see them together.

I love rooting for the underdogs and I love the Edo period setting and politics where drawing one's sword against the wrong person can mean the end of your family. I could not believe the ending of episode one and how difficult it was for justice to be done in those days.


Love the actors, especially Yamamoto Koji who played Hijikata in Shinsengumi all those years ago.


If you like movies like Twilight Samurai about underdog samurais/ronin, Hakuoki is for you. I'm enjoying every episode. Very watchable. The raws can easily be gotten from raredoramas and the subs by evasive at d-addicts. I fee like watching more jidaigeki after this.

No comments: