Sunday, December 09, 2018

Dai Renai Episode 1

I was eager to try Dai Renai out because who doesn't want more Toda Erika in their life and I was intrigued by Merebu from the Yuusha Yoshihiko series being the main male lead.

Anytime someone who always plays supporting roles gets a chance at a main role, it usually means they got cast because they are the best person for the role or they've paid their dues and they deserve a chance.

So anyway, Dai Renai is about this very pragmatic doctor played by Toda Erika who quickly gets engaged to another doctor. The audience immediately knows the doctor is not the right guy for Toda Erika is because he has an immovable forehead. I have no idea why bloody actors want to stop their foreheads from moving because its so important for showing emotion.

Anyways, Toda Erika loves this book written by this once promising writer, Mamiya Shinji played by Merebu. Shinji works as a removalist, things happened, sparks fly and Toda Erika tries to disolve her engagement.

Then we get to the hook of the show which is that Toda Erika is showing early symptoms of alzheimer. After finishing episode 1, I'm not feeling the need to quickly watch episode 2. Not with the soap opera undertones of Toda Erika's mom and unmoving forehead fiance telling her to forget Shinji and go on with the wedding.

I can take a 2 hour movie but the prospect of a 10 episodes of alzheimer crying stuff? I don't know. Normally I don't mind your old school disability jdoramas but alzheimer is kind of way too manipulative and unappealing to me. I'll still watch this cause I like the actors except unmoving forehead fiance. Its just I might take my time sweet time with this.


Too early to rate Dai Renai but so far it seems more for people who like the more soap opera style jdoramas. Thanks to Keiko1981 for the Japanese subs.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

i only warch this because of chemistry between toda and muro