Monday, November 08, 2010

Nihonjin no Shiranai Nihongo eps 5-12


After coming to terms with the fact that this wasn't going to be the second coming of 'Mind your Language', I found myself enjoying this series. Sure, sometimes I couldn't really understand the language stuff they were talking about (the show is after all aimed at Japanese) but most of the stuff is pretty interesting. My favourite episode would have to be episode 7 about the gaijin hunter chick. Come to think of it, this is the first time I've really seen the issue of gaijin hunters being explored in a jdorama.



Of course gaijin are rarely cast as even supporting characters in jdoramas. Most of the time, its just a small cameo and make the actor look like he is overseas and can actually speak English. The only supporting gaijin character I can remember is Alan from Hagetaka. Doramas always do social commentary on stuff like hikkikomori, enjyou kousai etc but Japanese attitudes towards gaijin and the challenges that gaijin face in Japan is not something you often see. 


Episode 9 was pretty fun though you've gotta feel for poor Takasu sensei. Although he is Haruko's tormentor, he's not a bully and their exchanges are always entertaining. The rest of the episodes are just average though. I was eagerly anticipating Kinrei's story but unfortunately, her story is not what I was expecting.


The last episode is typical formulaic teacher jdorama fare. Teacher quits, students want teacher back, we get flashbacks to all the episodes with the theme song running in the background, blah blah. Its formulaic because it works and I've grown fond of the students and Catherine sensei. :)



Nihonjin no shiranai nihongo is not as entertaining as it could have been but it brings something fresh and different to the tired maverick teacher genre. If you have interest in the language and want to see a bit of social commentary on foreigners in Japan, I'd recommend this show. Nihonjin no Shiranai Nihongo has interesting content but the execution is lacking in ambition.

2 comments:

Joe said...

I was an extra in this :D

Akiramike said...

Wow, I'm jealous. Anything interesting from the shoot?