Saturday, January 14, 2023

Fishbowl Wives Episodes 1~5

 

The best thing about Netflix's fishbowl wives is that there is a lot of sex and nudity. Jdoramas are always very chaste. A lot of love stories barely have any lust in them. Part of the appeal of jdoramas and jmovies for me is sometimes scenes are beautiful because less is more like Miyazawa Rie getting Sanada Hiroyuki ready to fight in Twilight Samurai but sometimes characters in jdoramas are seemingly devoid of lust. There seems be rule that only virgin characters can be lustful and characters in love cannot show lust for the audience.

Anyways Fishbowl Wives is about Shinohara Ryoko who lives in a tower mansion and is married to rich guy who treats her badly having an affair with a guy who sells goldfishes. There are other housewives in the tower who's affairs serve as the individual stories of each episode while Shinohara Ryoko's story serves as the main story that binds everything together.

Fishbowl Wives is proof that nudity and sex does not buy chemistry. The main story is so bad and soapy and I can feel nothing between Shinohara Ryoko and goldfish guy. The individual stories can be hit and miss but it was a struggle for me to get to episode 5. I'd rather rewatch Vinland Saga. Hajime no Ippo or Kengan Ashura on Netflix, lol.

Fishbowl Wives is neither fun, nor thrilling or melancholy. Even the way too chaste Jyanai Hou no Kanojo is more fun than this. Actually if you gave Jyanai Hou no Kanojo Fishbow Wives's sex and nudity, it would be one of the best affair shows ever. 

If you want a decent affair jdorama, watch Ukiwa. If you want a must watch affair jdorama try Kimura  Yoshino's Hatsukoi or Konshuu Tsuma ga Uwaki Shimasu. Meh from me and jdoramaland is littered with so many boring affiar/mid life crisis jdoramas. 

Speaking of Hatsukoi, I think the Kimura Yoshino Hatsukoi is a much better version of Netflix's First Love since they both cover the same story. I need to rewatch Hatsukoi one day. I feel like I have forgotten as many jdoramas as I have seen and my blog if the only way to keep track. I put the word 'affair' on the top left search bar of my blog and there are so many boring affair jdoramas probably because they are the easiest ones to do but the hardest to get right.

No comments: