Monday, September 13, 2021

Konto ga Hajimaru Episodes 4-10

I decided I could not wait for English subs for Konto ga Hajimaru anymore as the longer it gets between episodes, the more I forget and retimed the Japanese subs.

I want to say two things. Firstly the karaoke box konto from episode 5 is my favourite sketch. I love how all the sketches have something to do with the story of the episode. Reminds me of Tiger and Dragon which I will have to rewatch some day.

The second thing I want to say is Konto ga Hajimaru is a brilliant story about life. People struggling with decisions and finding their place in society and all that stuff without spelling things out for the audience.

Konto ga Hajimaru will make you laugh and it will make you cry and it will make you ask why can't more jdoramas be like this? The answer is it is really hard to write such great characters and dialogue. I am looking at the writer Kaneko Shigeki's resume and I am not sure I want to watch any of the shows and I am pretty sure I dropped Oreno Hanashi wa Nagai.

The dialogue is soooo good. Its basically Sakamoto Yuji level where there are multiple levels to the dialogue like an onion. This is an easily rewatchable show because there is so much to absorb.

This is anti Wakamonotachi 2014 which tried to be this great jdorama about 20+ people but ended up being fake and contrived whereas Konto Ga Hajimaru feels natural and real and we are just a fly on a wall watching these interesting characters deal with life.

Can't recommend this enough. I am glad Konto strong potential to challenge for jdorama of the year has been realised. Must watch. You can get the English subs here until episode 4 or Japanese subs here.

6 comments:

Robert said...

English subs for all episodes were just completed and posted in the MyDramaList comments. Really looking forward to watching all of this.

Robert said...

The subs are also linked at the end of the d-addicts thread you posted.

Rick said...

The whole series subs are also at subscene.

Akiramike said...

@Robert and Rick: Thanks! Could have save all that effort retiming! Oh well.

Robert said...

Finally saw the rest of this and loved it. This drama was really entertaining and funny throughout, with a script rich in detail and excellent acting from all... I think this is a masterpiece. Looking forward to rewatching sometime.

It's between this and Omameda for show of the year.

Akiramike said...

@Robert: It is definitely worth rewatching. Will give Omameda a try!