Monday, July 13, 2020

Shiranakute Ii koto


I was going to not watch Shiranakute Ii koto although I like Yoshitaka Yuriko because a story that starts of with the mother saying to the reporter daughter that her father is Keanu Reeves does not sound appealing.

tangerine_days said in the comments that it was a slow burn and indeed it was. I had no interest after the first episode but it slowly got more exciting when the show was about the weekly magazine looking for scandals.

I am a sucker for a team working together to uncover scandals and when we have affairs and corruption, all the better.

What I didn't enjoy is this triangle affair between Yoshitaka Yuriko and the other two characters. Specifically, I don't like stuff about Yoshitaka Yuriko's personal life. She blew off the one guy who really loved her, got together with a selfish creep and fucked up the life of the guy who cared for her again.

I finished the show in one day and I loved the investigating and scoops but I dislike the main character. Hmm, reminds me of Abby in the Last of Us 2. Similarly to The Last of Us 2, I can't recommend this to anyone because there are parts I really disliked.


However, I can't really complain because the title of this jdorama is 'Its better not to know' and the story is about the bad things that happen when people get knowledge they should not have. It still doesn't change how I feel.

In summary I will say Shiranakute Ii koto is a slow burn investigative reporting dorama with some a lot of characters you will like and some that you might dislike very much like me. I enjoyed most of it, which is why I finished it in one day but I also remember the parts I didn't like more than I did.

If you are ok if not so happy shows, then this might be for you. I normally like sad endings but I find Yoshitaka Yuriko's Kate rather selfish.

1 comment:

junny said...

I liked Shiranakute Ii Koto mainly for the magazine setting, which really resonated with me. I loved Sasaki Kuranosuke as the chief editor, he was the star of the show for me, and the camaraderie of the reporters and deskers was great. The investigative stuff was pretty solid, but more than that, I enjoyed the look into investigative journalism and the ethics, story angling, and all the other nitty gritty stuff that come with putting a story together for print.

The relationships were well done and since they were not the focus, I was okay with them. In the magazine setting, they were actually very relatable. Yoshitaka's acting is whatever, but as a character, she was fine even if not likeable.