Sunday, November 25, 2018

Koi wa Amearari no you ni movie review

I rather enjoyed the Koi wa Ameagari no You ni anime. It was a light and fluffy show about a high school girl Akira, who falls in love with her middle aged workplace boss. In other words, Japanese male fantasy through the lens of a shoujo manga.

The movie meanwhile, does go through the story beats of the anime but just fails to capture that spark by maybe being a bit too safe. For example, while things happen in the scene where Akira visits the sick Tenchou as the anime, the way they executed it gives off a completely different vibe.


I really disliked how they left out most of Akira's relationship with Tenchou's son Yuto and wasted time with this rival girl at the cost of exploring Akira and Tencho's relationship.

With a two hour runtime, sacrifices had to be made but I felt the wrong sacrifices were done. It ended up sort of at the same place as the anime but the movie just feels flat and forgettable for me. Ignore and watch the anime instead.

2 comments:

youngheartsparkfire said...

I watched this in the theatres here and really enjoyed it, even though I have to agree with your comments about the rival.
I never watched the anime but after this film I read the manga, and I feel like if I had one criticism of the movie, it would be that it never really brings home the point of the story (compared to the manga anyway) - which is how flawed individuals overcome feelings of failure, disappointment and setback.

Thank you for reviewing this in any case. Cheers!

Shane said...

The anime was absolutely fantastic. No surprise that the movie can not do it justice.