Thursday, June 28, 2012

Jmovie review: Kisaragi


I mentioned Kisaragi in my review of Short Cut and thought that I would do a quick skim of the movie before I went to sleep. Turns out I couldn't bring myself fast forward and was totally absorbed in the movie. I still remembered the twists and turns and who the characters actually were but its just such a fun movie to watch the second time. I just spent the whole movie thinking this is one of the leanest movies ever in terms of efficiency. Every bit of dialogue with the purpose of setting the next reveal up or sowing the seeds for something down the line.

Kisaragi is the tale of 5 fans; Guru, Oda Yuji, Snake, Yasuo and Ichigo Musume coming together to observe the one year anniversary of the death of Kisaragi Miki, an idol who committed suicide. However, one of them believes that Miki was murdered and the killer is among them. The whole movie is set in one room. There are flashback scenes but  they are short are more to illustrate what happened and give the viewer a quick visual image. Similar to the first season of Shinya Shokudo where everything happens in one place and anything that happens outside is described.

There's a lot of humour in Kisaragi, especially with Oguri Shun's character arc and the ending. I've got absolutely no complaints about Kisaragi and I think its flawless. Could have sworn I wrote a review for it but I can't seem to find it. I probably wrote about Kisaragi in the comments. Usually mystery movies aren't so fun with the second viewing but my second viewing has helped me appreciate Kisaragi's great script more.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Dude,

I've been following your blog for years, and I have to agree that Kisaragi is one of my favourite japanese movies.
Honestly it's more like a play to me, with the amazing dialogue and the scenes all fit in to each other. The performances by the actors were amazing, Once I started watching I was hooked.

Lately thought I haven't been watching any Jdrama because of the boring and similar stories, with the characters that don't make sense, so I've moved on to Kdrama, but maybe when I get bored of that I'll move back to Jdrama.