Thursday, October 10, 2024

Japan trip 2024 day 11 Pt 1: Nagasaki Atomic Museum and Peace Park

Weather forecast for the day. Bloody stinking hot in Kyushu. I was sweating in tank top and shorts and Japanese walking around in trousers and long sleeves not breaking a sweat.

Taking the train to Nagasaki.

I was supposed to go Nagasaki last trip but a regular at Uzu who grew up in Nagasaki said better to go Takachiho which I did. I did not run into her this time and should have asked Kira how she was doing.

To get to Nagasaki, you take a regular train to Takeo-Onsen station and then a shinkansen to Nagasaki. The whole trip takes about an hour and a half.

Walking from station to my hotel. This looking back in the direction of the station.

Walking towards the front of the station which is behind this Amu Plaza building.

I bought a digital one day pass for the trams.

Got off at tram stop and was greeted by this sign for Ichimentei which I never had before. Gyoza, karaage and ramen. What else does one need to live?

It was 10 mins from opening and I cbf waiting so got one famichiki. I tried to pay using my suica but it did not work for some reason. I did not consider the most obvious reason why it was not working.

I love it when a tourist town has signs everywhere because I did not prepare anything for Nagasaki. All I knew was that I had to come where after watching Ryomaden because I wanted to see the history.

First stop, atomic bomb museum. You can see bunch of kids in the background.

At the entrance you can see all the folded cranes for peace.

I hope the words stay true.

Wall clock from near the centre of the blast.

I think this was aerial photo taken by USA.

Remake of the church that was destroyed in the blast.

Because it was a 3 day weekend, it seemed like every primary school kid was in Nagasaki.

Each group had a guide showing them around the museum and explaining all the horrible things to the kids.
I love how Japan says 'other Asian nations were also dragged into the conflict and victimized in various ways'. Way to gloss over a lot of atrocities. At least better than Yasukuni shrine.

Model of Hiroshima.

The atomic museum was very, very sobering.


I was getting very hungry and there was no eating place in nearby so walked back to Ichimentei.

Worst ramen I have ever eaten in Japan. This is garbage. Should have done gyoza and karaage instead. Shockingly bad. Makes Melbourne ramen look good. Yes, that bad.



This was the epicentre of the blast. I didn't care about the crappy ramen anymore thinking about everyone who got wiped out.

Escalators to the peace park! You don't see escalators in the open like this.




The famous peace park statue. Lots of kids having their pictures taken.


2 comments:

Jung said...

Hi Mike, great to see you're still at Japan trips :-)

Akiramike said...

@Jung: must take advantage of exchange rate!