Thursday, July 20, 2023

Keiji to Kenji Tokidoki Hanji

Keiji to Kenji Tokidoki Hanji which means police detectives and prosecutors and occasionally judges is a crime comedy set in Yokohama. I did not realise that this was a sequel to Keiji to Kenji which I had never heard of. 

Main character is Kiritani Kenta playing a former teacher turned police detective and Higa Minami is his sister who works for the prosecutors office. 

Kitamura Yukiya (Mushoboke) is the new prosecutor who used to be Kichise Michiko who is a judge!

WHAT IS GOOD

+ It is pretty funny and I liked the Yokohama locations.

+ Kitamura Yukiya's character is the most entertaining and the awkwardness between him and Kichise Michiko and Higa Minami is funny. Mushoboke is one of my favourite feel good shows and made me think this Kitamura Yukiya can act.

+ Watching the relationships between police, prosecution and Judges in Japan in terms of getting warrants, extending detentions etc. You want police to catch the bad guys but you don't want Judges giving them search warrants without sufficient proof.

WHAT IS NOT GOOD

- The other police detective Meguro who keeps using English words is annoying just because he was in America for 2 years. Nothing about his character can convince me he speaks English or was in USA for 2 years. Yes I know it is a show for average Japanese audiences and their perception of what USA is. I just don't find it funny.

- Furuta Arata is not in the show long enough.

SUMMARY

Surprisingly watchable for me. Not brilliant but low key enjoyable and I liked the cast very much. Watch it if you want a light and funny catch bad guys show and the cast appeals to you. The question now is should I go back and watch the prequel Keiji to Kenji? Can it be as enjoyable as the sequel?Thanks to luwuang for subbing. You have to join the discord to gain access to the hardsubs.

No comments: