Sunday, February 20, 2022

Iribito jdorama review

Iribito is the most beautiful jdorama I can remember the last few years, probably since Kenja no Ai. 

Watching Iribito I am impressed by how much effort has gone into the stunning visuals. 

I must be sad that Kyoto is already beautiful so that's half the work done but the director's use of shadows and some of his camera work were very good, especially making the sinister undertones in the story.

Takahata Mitsuki (Kahogo no Kahoko) plays Naho who is a pregnant deputy director of an art gallery. She leaves Tokyo for Kyoto and there sees a painting by an unknown artist Shirane Tatsuru who turns out to be the only student of the influential Shozan sensei and is drawn to this artist.

Naho wants to help Shirane debut but she soon finds out that people have a way of doing things in Kyoto and the price might be very steep. Naho's husband who runs his own gallery might no be so supportive.

Iribito is a very slow dorama. The visuals kept me entertained until the revelations started happening in the second half of the show.

I like Iribito but I don't really love it. Feels like they could have easily chopped it into a 2 hour movie.

I also didn't really care about the story especially the final twist. I guess that was the whole point of the story but I don't know. I felt like the story didn't need it.

The visuals of Iribito are top class but the storyline is just decent and I am a bit indifferent to it. 

It all adds up to a very watchable WOWOW dorama. Thanks to aoinousagi for subbing! Iribito is a jdorama about paintings that has visuals like a painting.

No comments: