Tuesday, May 11, 2021

Hamura Akira review

 

Hamura Akira is a 7 episode NHK detective jdorama. Its been a while since I've seen a hard boil detective show with the last one being River's Edge I think. For some reason, police shows outnumber private detective jdoramas 10 to 1.

First episode didn't impress me. They really had zero budget for the first episode and the story was so-so but as I continued watching, Hamura Akira got better and better.

Writing got more hard boiled and stories and characters got more interesting. Hamura Akira has all the hallmarks of the hard boiled detective genre; lots of voice overs and a main character who seems to have all the bad luck.

 

The directing and camerawork is really good considering the lack of budget. I think a lot of the cameos were done as favours. Shishido Kavka certainly has the ability to be a lead actor.

Hamura Akira is a surprisingly watchable detective show. I would recommend it if you have seen River's Edge and want more private detective shows. I would definitely like to see a season two of Hamura Akira.

Thanks to Gabrielmpf for subbing this at d-addicts!

No comments: