Saturday, November 30, 2013
35 year old public servant Kentaro, has no friends, lives with his parents and his only hobbies are playing Rumble Fish 2, saving his money and his pet frog. His parents join this matchmaking thing between parents and somehow Kentaro ends up meeting with the blind Naoko (Kaho).
- Seeing Kaho on the big screen. :)
- Very good supporting cast with Osugi Ren and Kuroki Hitomi playing Kaho's parents.
- Pretty funny, especially Kentaro's parents.
- The first half plays like this slow burning character based movie.
- Instead of going the character study route, its goes the more generic romantic comedic/soap opera route. Kaho's character is so underdeveloped and there's a lot that Blindly in Love can talk about in terms of the similarities between the two characters. Can't blame them for going the safe route but meh.
- The Yoshinoya scene should have been the ending but they wanted the pay off for the frog thing which I thought was unnecessary. More character stuff, especially looking at whether both parent's enabled their children's reliance with the Yoshinoya scene would have been better. Even the yariman could have used more screen time.
- Kaho's parents' subplot being unresolved.
- Having a strong desire to eat some real gyudon and wishing I were back in Japan. I want Tokyo Chikara Meshi gyuyakinikudon right now. :(
- Crowd pleasing movie with good acting and an uneven third act. I just feel it could have been much more and I'd rather they tried and fail than play safe. Watchable.
Edit: Forgot to mention these two ladies who would not stop talking even when the movie started. Dude next to them told them to be quiet and the women instead of keeping quiet answered him and told him to shut up. Dude overeacted and got physical, had to be moved to different seat but people who talk in cinemas annoy me.
Friday, November 29, 2013
Yes, Tony Taka games have gone from pulling swords from breasts to kissing in the midde of battle. The bad news is that there are male party members for female gamers.
And of course my two calenders, Sambomaster, Scandal and Gundam Front shirts which I covered previously.
Thursday, November 28, 2013
Wednesday, November 27, 2013
Tuesday, November 26, 2013
What would a Japan holiday be without a Scandal concert? This was on my 2nd last day and the last day was the Ultra SF4 location test. Wish I had time to go
to the Tokyo Motor Show to check out the girls I mean cars.
Bframe had already gone to the Yokkaichi one two weeks ago so I knew to expect 20 minutes of talking in the middle which I was not looking forward to. I asked him to get me a shirt first so I would not need to queue up and forgot to bring one of my Scandal towels. One can't enjoy a Scandal concert without towel swinging during Doll.
The latest album is ok. My favourite song is Standard but nothing really jumps out. My favourite Scandal song atm is One Piece and was sad to learn from bframe it won't be on the set list.
While the venue is more hall than live house and I was at the 30th row, I could actually finally see them after going to the Budokan and Osaka-jo lives. Not as close as the first time I saw them with bframe at Zepp Nagoya.
Should have looked up the best ramen place on tabelog but ended up at a Coco Ichi next to Omiya Sonic City. Had half a mind to take away the Coco Ichi chicken and nuggets to eat on the way back. According to bframe Scandal only to live house for fan club events but even then there's a lot of talking. They even talk more than Mano Erina and she's the idol.
Crowd ate up 20 minutes of them talking about what's the standard way of cooking eggs and getting the crowd to vote by cheering. Yes, I did time it. Apparently the Yokkaichi segment was about the standard school trip.
I liked that they bookended the new songs with Standard and ended with the good old songs like Shoujo S and Doll. Highlights for me were Mami singing Koe and and I started liking Weather Report. I can watch Mami play her guitar all night.
Used the shinkansen to Omiya instead of the usual train cause of the JR pass. It was funny being on the platform by myself after the concert while everyone used the normal train.
Huge thanks to bframe for the tickets to Scandal and Sambomaster.